Dr. Louie Limas (@metagamelouie, @PhD_Louie) is Doctorate in Counseling Psychology from Indiana University, Received his masters in Experimental Psychology At CSU San Marcos and just recently was hired as a staff psychologist at UCI. And just prior to that working as a professional therapist at UC berkeley.
Most importantly he is a gamer himself and has been a competitor since 2004. Additionally he is an experienced tournament organizer – hosting a large smash tournament series known as Full Bloom. In the past couple of years he has had the opportunity to work closely with professional players in Overwatch, Dota2 and the Smash community to help them overcome mental barriers and achieve their full potential.
I am so excited to share this conversation as we know very well how important mindset is in competitive gaming. But not only that, mental health is a huge issue in the gaming community and we touch on that in this episode.
In this episode we chat in depth with Dr. Louie Limas about mindset, sports psychology and mental health in gaming & esports.
In Today’s Episode We’ll Learn:
- Why is mindset such an important part of competitive gaming? Addressing poor communication, competitive pressure, conflicts, etc.
- Overuse of the sports psychologist concept in esports, interest in coaching vs. professionally educated psychologist
- What does a sports psychologist do for a team in esports? Identification of the mental barriers within teams, needs assessment, and more
- Individual routines for gamers to stay healthy, maintain optimal mindset and a holistic approach (Sleep, Social Engagement, Exercise, Nutrition, Coping Strategies, Breathing)
- Compliance with strategies recommended? How do we help players initiate these positive habits – Addressing underlying beliefs and having patience
- Systematic Desensitization for management of performance anxiety, tournament nerves and stressful situations within the game
- What strategies do you utilize to motivate players for sleep and other interventions, motivational interviewing, tangible goals and context
- Education is a large part of mindset management & mental health with youth – who have poor coping and stress management strategies
- Major revelations Dr. Limas has had in the esports industry in the past couple of years, considerations of the big-picture context of professional gamers
- Performance Anxiety, Interpersonal Process, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – addressing automatic thoughts. Restructuring how one interprets stressors
- Interpersonal Conflicts – what are the strategies with conflict resolution? Issues with strategy coaches handling mental coaching. Relationship management. Leading with love
- Dr. Louie Limas one big tip in life – spread the love
- If Dr. Louie Limas could have one superpower, what would it be?
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE:
Key Resources for Dr. Louie Limas
Share the Love
If you like HPFORGAMERS
- Support & Donate to 1-HP so we can continue creating great content for our community:
- Never miss an episode by subscribing to our email list below
- Help improve the show by leaving a comment and review in Itunes (when its finished preparing we’ll let you know)
- Share this with anyone you think will benefit from the episode